As we were at the meet, I was having a very hard time walking. There was so much pressure with every step, but nothing painful, so I chalk it up to just being so big. After the meet, we were invited over to my sister's house to watch the Hawk game. We went home got the puppies and we went to Delhi.While we were there, I am sort of convinced, that the way that the Hawks played that day, induced the contractions. It was about 4:30pm and I noticed that I was getting contractions pretty consistently, but nothing painful, just tightening. So, for the fun of it, I started documenting in my phone the duration and the time between contractions. 4:44pm, 4:50pm, 5:15pm, 5:25pm, 5:33pm, 5:39pm, 5:44pm, 5:52pm, 6:01pm, 6:05pm(very light), 6:10pm, 6:14pm, 6:18pm, 6:23pm, 6:36pm, and then were were home in Central City. By this time, there was a little pain, but I was still able to talk through them. The Doctor said to not come to the hospital until the 5:1:1 rule and they were so bad that I could not talk through them. 5 minutes apart, lasting for 1 minute, for 1 hour straight. Well, we were not to this point yet, but I started to notice that I was spotting pretty bad. I texted my sister and my mom and asked if this was normal. My mom said she knew that is when she was in labor with me, because that happened to her, and my sister said that she thought I should call the Dr. to let them know. As always, I listened to the advice, and called the Dr. They asked me a series of questions. The last two were, "When are you due", I said, "Tomorrow". She then asked if I was progressing at the last appointment and I said yes, I was almost 4cm and 20%. She said right away, "How about you come in just to be on the safe side, we will have the chart waiting for you when you get here." With that being said I went into the bedroom and told Nate that we better get going.

On the way to St. Luke's my contractions were as follows: 7:21pm, 7:25pm, 7:28pm, 7:31pm, 7:33pm, 7:39pm, and 7:44pm. By 7:44pm we were sitting in the exam room and the contractions were AWFUL! I could not talk at all through these and the only words that I could get out were curse words. The Nurse was monitoring the contractions and said that the baby's heart rate was great and my contractions were pretty strong but I was only at a 4 but I was 50% effaced. At this time, the nurse started asking what my spotting was like, and she was curious as to if my water had broken. She was then explaining a test that they were going to do to check. At this same time I had the worst contraction yet, and all of a sudden there was a POP! I looked at the nurse and I said, "I am pretty sure my water just broke" She lifted up the blanket and said, "Yup, it sure did!! Looks like we are having a baby tonight." At that time, all of the memories of my begging my baby to come, the foot massage that I got from my youngest Niece Emerson earlier that day, and the bumpy golf cart ride my sister took me on that afternoon came rushing back, and I said, "okay I know what I said and did today hoping this would happen but I change my mind I am scared and not ready!" and I started to cry. We knew that we were not leaving without our baby!
We were admitted and sent to our room. The contractions were still awful and close. There were a few hours of contractions and our families were on their way!! I decided that I was going to have en epidural. I had been awake since 4:30am and the nurse said first time mom's can be in labor up to 12 hours on average with 3 hours of pushing. I knew that I was so tired there was no way that I could do that without getting some sleep. The nurse came in and said that if I wanted an epidural the doctor was there to do them, that I had to get one now or wait until he was back. I looked at Nate and he said just to get one, so I did.
I had the epidural and instantly my left side was numb and it slowly went to the right side. At that time my side of the family was there. I was so happy to see the faces of my sister, mom, Abby, Bailey and Emily. I was not in any pain anymore but so tired. I was freezing cold and could not stop shaking. Soon I fell asleep which was much needed and Nate went into the waiting room to be with our families.
45 min later I was awaken by really strong shooting pains in my left side. The nurse approached and said that I had been making a lot of noise in my sleep so she was going to check me. At this time, I was 9cm and 100%. She was very surprised how within 45 min I went from a 5 to a 9 and it was time for a baby! She called the doctor to come and she told me to start pushing during contractions. Right then my husband came in and I told him where I was at and the look was priceless that came across his face. He then came to my bed side and that is where he remained for the rest of the delivery. I had no feeling in my left leg but I could feel all the contractions on my left. Weird enough it all settled in my leg and none where I could feel the pain. It was good though because I knew when I could push and it really helped me.
I pushed through three contractions before Dr. Lyons came into the room. She was not ready to deliver as she had no gown on etc. She then looked at me and said, "Whoa whoa stop pushing!" I looked at her mid push and grunted, "ME? Stop pushing????" She said yes the baby was right there and she wasn't ready. They asked if I wanted to touch, see anything, etc, and I said Hell NO! I just wanted to get her out! The doctor then was ready for me, and I looked at the clock and it was 1:02am. I said to myself I was going to have her out by 1:15am. I pushed through 2 more contractions and she said okay, now push and breath with me. 1 more contraction and our little Alaina Paige Etten was in my arms!
Total Delivery: 5 hours
Total Contractions that I pushed: 6
Total time pushing: 18 minutes


Alaina Paige was 8 pounds 5.5 ounces, 21 inches long, and she was here by 1:08am on her Due Date! 10-9-2011. She looked JUST like her Daddy, which is a pretty good thing if you ask me! She did have brown thin hair like me but everything else was a lot like her Daddy.
No comments:
Post a Comment