Thursday, June 2, 2011

Baby's First 1/2 Marathon

There have been so many people, bless their hearts, that have given me advice on what to do and what not to do when pregnant.

At the end of the day the only advice I have really take to heart, is to do what feels right. So, as the half marathon that I was signed up for, fast approached, I asked myself if it felt right, and it did.

I have stayed active through Farrell's, but had only ran once since I was pregnant. My philosophy with health, is it is 90% mental. So, I thought running 13.1 miles would hold true to that philosophy.

I must say that there is a huge difference running pregnant and not pregnant. Not only was I constantly checking my heart rate, but I felt the sensation to pee the whole time!! I stopped at mile three because I thought I just could not hold it any more. 15 minutes later it was my turn, and I realized that it was more just the sensation from the baby bouncing then a reality.

As I started on my way again, I instantly felt like I had to go. I realized that it wasn't going to go away, just to keep running. As mile 7 came along, I felt that I should slow it down a little bit for the baby's sake. By mile 11 I was hating life and talking to my baby girl asking her to help mommy complete this, as I was doing it for her and to prove to myself that I can.

Just under three hours and a great heart rate, I crossed the finish line with Nate cheering me on, and I can say that I had the first bonding moment with my baby girl. After my 30 seconds of hating life, I went right over to the massage table and laid there thinking, what the heck did I do that for!?

1 comment:

  1. I just cried reading this! :) What a neat story to tell her when she gets older!! I love your blog:) YAAA!

    ReplyDelete